October 31, 2021
It was in 1854 with John Shelton Mitchell (1817-1875) opened Mitchell, Bailey, and Company in his home state of Connecticut. Samuel B. H. Vance (1814-1890) had been involved with several gas fixture firms including with Mitchell Bailey. In 1860 he became co-partner and the Mitchell, Vance, and Company was created.
August 08, 2021
Martin and Elizabeth Wehrle lived in Rheinberg, Prussia (Germany) where Martin worked as a blacksmith and moulder. After the beginning of the Revolutions, the family immigrated to the United States and in 1849 settled in Newark, Ohio. Martin and his wife Elizabeth had a total of 10 children, only 4 made it to adulthood - Catherine, Elizabeth, Anna, and Joseph Christian born on March 3, 1836.
June 10, 2021
The current name of the family is named after Vito Genovese (1897-1969) who came to the United States in 1912 and lived in Queens, New York and took over the organization as boss from 1957 to 1969. It was under Genovese where the story of a mafia family crosses with the LGBTQ+ history we know as “Pride.”
May 08, 2021
It was July of 1887 in Meriden, Connecticut when William Tremaine, the entrepreneur, created Aeolian Organ & Music Company by combining the sources of several acquisitions starting with Mechanical Orguinette Company of New York and the Automatic Music Paper Company of Boston. Soon after he introduced the “Aeriola,” the self-playing piano/organ hybrid. The success of the company only went up from there.
April 18, 2021
In 1858, Andrew McNally walked into Rand’s printing shop and asked for work. Andrew was born in Armagh, Ireland, and had come to the the United States through New York City in 1857. McNally was also a printer by trade, and with his expertise he quickly went from printer, to foreman, to partner. By 1859, Rand and McNally were running all of the Chicago Tribune's printing. After the Civil War was over, William Henry sold his interest in the Chicago Tribune and focused on his growing business. Rand, McNally and Company was officially incorporated in 1868.